Found in a bowl in a friend's room. Guess the amount.. ;).
Monday, September 7, 2009
People often said that the craze surrounding Harry Potter books and everything else that got associated with the boy wizard was over hyped. Well I dont know if it was a case of brilliant marketing or simply superb writing, the series has been an integral part of my growing up process. What probably clicked with kids (back then) of my age was that as we matured, the characters themselves matured, the plots grew darker. Every single HP fan has tried finding himself in some or the other character in the series. It had shots of thrill, drama, emotions, humour, everything. Every character, from the protagonist and his friends to guest appearances like Stan Shunpike and old Archie, seemed so real. The excitement of waiting for the next book, discussing theories, crying over Sirius and Fred and Lupin, to the eventual sadness from realizing that the defeat of the Dark Lord marked the end of an era in our lives. There are some quotes from the series, which I absolutely love, be they laced with sarcasm or deep sentiment:
- Prizoner of Azkaban, Lupin: You heard James?
- Goblet of Fire, old Archie, on being asked to wear Muggle trousers instead of lacy nightgowns: Thanks but I am comfortable with these, I like it breezy around my privates
- Goblet of Fire, Dumbledore: Differences in habit and language are nothing as long as our aims are identical and our hearts open
- Ron Weasley, Order of the Phoenix, when he sees the blood on Harry's hand: You said you were just writing lines
- Dumbledore, Half Blood Prince: Please, Severus
- Snape, Deathly Hallows: Look at me Harry
- Harry, Deathly Hallows: Albus Severus, you are named after two headmasters of Hogwarts, one of them was a Slytherin and he was the bravest man I ever knew