Thursday, October 29, 2009

Stand By Me



A story of four young boys on the brink of adolescence, sharing an over zealous quest to find a dead child's body, Stand By Me explores the purity of childhood friendships. A recounted narrative, the film ends with the protagonist saying that he never had friends the way he did when he was twelve. 'Does anyone?', he asks. True, maybe it was the innocence of the early years or the inability to understand how the world functions, but there was something that reflects in the warmth one feels on hearing an old friend's voice albeit 2000 miles away.  You probably dont cry to them about break ups the way you can cry to your college friends and its not watching endless hours of movies together but the 5 minute catching up sessions are like spa treatments. College friends are great, grown up and capable of handling grown up messes (very effectively, I must add) but probably feeling twelve again helps one reconnect with the non-messy side of life that used to be.
One can never have friends the way one did at twelve. No one can, or so he says,
But while the ending did remind me of old friends and brought a smile to my face with memories of carefree times, the words Stand By Me made me think of the friends here who have stood by me through really rough times. They know this is to them. Love  you all :).



12 comments:

  1. You are remembering the 12 year old days while i am getting real Insti Sick here.. real as in REAL BAD Insti sick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read the book? Its miles better than the movie. Stephen King knows how to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anuj: Ahem..I guess so am I..Sick of it :P
    @ The Lord of Chaos: Shall try the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anuj: stuff happens...perceptions change dude.
    @shruti: well written, but I believe concept of friendship is far over rated. I may be wrong but that's what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nits: No its not over rated, its the rarity that is under rated :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true! I miss the good old school days. College is so much about so many superficial things. U know how much importance we gave to the word friend back then? Now everybody u know even frm facebook is a friend !
    Stand by me !

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Phoenix: Haan yaar..true..miss old days too..but the good thing is some things never change..and distances and different time zones dont count with friends.. As far as Stand By is concerned..needless to say..Luv ya..Miss Ya

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not soo sure about my childhood friendships as i am not at all in touch with any of them but i would definitely say that i would feel the same way for my college time friends throughout my life. Waise Shurts, well written :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just can't choose!
    And you can't hold on to either for ever...the saddest and the hardest part...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Prachi: Totally agree. Inseparable parts of your existence I guess. You cant hold on, true. But even though you move ahead in life, somewhere at the back of your mind, the associated comfort stays on, that's the best part...

    ReplyDelete
  11. saw the movie again today.some ppl are just so lucky they have friends when they need them, others just dont, moreover ppl who act as being their friends block them when they need someone the most.the movie made me cry, but anyways i feel nice now. time to move on, :)

    ReplyDelete