Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Shruti Di

In college, a lot of seniors have these juniors who are like, well younger siblings to them, if not kids. You know, the ones you kind of dote upon,  the ones for whose achievements you feel way happier than you could possibly feel for your own, those kind of juniors. I have been pretty fortunate to have had seniors for whom I was such a junior and I have also had my share of such juniors. Given the placements semester and the speed at which it flew by, it had been a while though since I had caught up with them. When that finally happened, I learnt, within a span of four hours that one of them was in a serious relationship while a couple of others had started working out at the gym, seriously enough to wake up early on Sunday mornings. Well, suddenly felt kind of old and I felt this kids are growing up kind of feeling sweep over me. To top it all, I mentioned it to those juniors as well as to a couple of friends, only to hear that they were not surprised by my reaction and had often seen related flashes in me previously (that doesnt mean I'm entertaining any aunty jokes :-| ). 
When I told my mom of the same, she told me that I had forever been a Shruti Di. That was the name coined for me by most people I knew in the officers' circle. I suppose Shreyas and Tanmay would be the ones who ought to shoulder most of the blame, given they called me Di despite being just few months younger. Of course, then, there was my sister Surabhi, Shreyas' sister and my cousin Sukriti,  and Tanmay's sister, Soumya, who is pretty much like family, considering our parents have known each other for, like, ever. Given the amount of time the six of us spent together, owing to the fact that our three families  practically constituted one unit,  the infinite mehfils (bhopali equivalent of the insti fart sessions), movies, road trips and the like,  can possibly explain that turning into an intrinsically programmed Shruti Di  was, but, natural (that doesn't indicate any tolerance for Di jokes either).
Well, I realize I can't possibly feel complete without feeling that way. Life's simple little things :).

15 comments:

  1. I would give away anything to make those juniors say 'aunty' to you. At least I did give away a treat.

    And not to forget you shouting incessantly, "Aunty mat kaho na!"

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree wid the shruti di part. Comes from Carmel ya. I still adore Divya di, mayukhini di and such people. sigh. school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do they call you aunty at IIT ? :O :P

    Nice !!

    Its been rightly told to you by Aunty. All of us were some mad kids and we needed someone to step into those shoes of leadership. And you did that :) . Hence Shruti Srivastava debuted as Shruti Di

    though it wud b interesting 2 knw hw nd wat made Shruti Aunty :D :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on "DI" you will forever be our big SIS even though that big sis depended on me and surabhi for most of the mature decisions...:P
    And i dunno y ur juniors treat you like aunty....probably you care for them too much....(Basic Instinct ).
    And thnxx fr being a part of our rocking bhopal childhood...:)
    All 4 of us really ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Aniket : You did not have to give away the treat. I still owe you one, given that I did the job half-heartedly. :-P :-)

    Nice post. Though I cant imagine you as Di or Aunty.
    I can explain about the latter - my aunts (well, most) are generally not as close as you are to most of us. About why not Di,
    dunno. Some relations just dont have suitable names. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lets just say, u earned the tag of aunty, though i second kirtika that we never imagined u as aunty..

    nice name though. will spread that fast enough... in ganga at least :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Shreyas ..y wud she b dependent on u..?? I can count Surabhi bt u..nopes.. :D
    To add something DI,
    I cant find any person in my lyf who has been so clear about her life and succeeded in shaping it.

    U Rock DI !!

    U wer d Best of us, the best there is and the best there will be - Hitman :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. See I always told you that you give the Di/Aunty/behenji Vibes !! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Aniket, Rakesh: in your dreams :P
    @ Shreyas: depending on you and Surabhi..yeah, right :P. And thanks for the latter comment. Those were the golden days :)
    @ Tanmay: :). By the way, there is no story behind the aunty thing..Its something Aniket's idle brain came up with.
    @ rkirti, Tarun: Have been trying to tell precisely the same thing. Cant possibly be seen as an aunty :-|
    @ rkirti: Some relations dont have suitable names. True :)
    @ Pratik: Di- maybe; Aunty- no ways, refer above :P; behenji- not in a million years...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intersting takeaways:

    1. Dependence on younger sublings for "mature decisions" of life.

    2. The aunty thing is gonna spread in Ganga soon.

    3. I am still entitled to a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gud post. never knew so many people called u aunty..although I would have to take credit for taht (remmeber fiitjee days??) can confirm with kanishka et al.

    ReplyDelete
  12. now u know u have always acted maturely...

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Aniket: There should be these 3 takeaways for you:
    1. Shreyas is deadmeat for that utterance
    2. Anyone calling me by that name is deadmeat too.
    3. For your treat you can get the deadmeats together and barbecue them :P
    @ Nits: Teri aur Kanishka ki to @!%$@#!&*%
    @ Bhale: Bus koi Mummy ko convince kar paye :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh i so wish to be in DD now. (I am definitely excited enough to make a jump from B orbital to D orbital.)

    ReplyDelete