Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Valentine Specials: Favorite Love Stories

 
Just like any other kid, I grew up on fairy tales. As my mother and grandmothers tucked me into my bed at night, telling me my favorite bedtime stories, I really did believe that Snow White would wake up when kissed by true love or that Cinderella's prince will certainly come to find her and then they shall live happily ever after. On a different note, though, I do wonder why all fairy tale love stories were named after the damsels and the princes' names weren't even mentioned. Anyways, as I grew up, I did mature enough to realize that there was more to love than a pretty damsel and a valiant prince and an evil stepmother/ogre. That love was not about happily ever afters but more a case of moving to the next set of merely happily while overcoming subsequent stepmothers/ogres. Of course, the love stories I now read were very different from the childhood fairy tales. It were these stories that shaped my ideas about this weird, inexplicable yet amazingly strong feeling called love and also kind of made me fall in love with the idea of being in love. Presenting my top ten favorite love stories (among the ones I have read, of course):
  1. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen: I read it first when I was thirteen. My very first understanding of love stems from this book. As I seem to have ranted on previously, Fitzwilliam Darcy was my first love. For the first time in my life, I came to understand love as something deep that develops over time, accompanied by admiration and respect, as opposed to the at first sight tosh fed by the happily ever after fairy tales. Ask any girl who has read it, she would swear by it, and by Mr Darcy.
  2. P.S. I Love You, Cecelia Ahern: There are some love stories that transcend life and death. This is one such story. Holly's life comes to an end after Gerry, her high school sweetheart-turned-husband of six years, dies following a battle with cancer. If only Gerry's love was weak enough to let her give up. Though separated in physical form, Gerry guides his love to adjust to a life without him, helping her live again, laugh again. Makes you realize that some memories might actually be enough to last a lifetime.
  3. A Walk to Remember, Nicholas Sparks: I remember crying buckets at the end of the book. But somehow, I cant recall feeling really sad at the death of the book's central character. The book somehow represented hope and strength derived from love, that doesnt cease even when the one you love ceases to exist. I still dont know what touched me more, Jamie's guidance of the lost soul that was Langdon or Langdon's making sure Jamie had everything she had wished for before she finally goes.
  4. Chicken Soup for the Romantic Soul: A collection of heart-warming love stories, contributed by regular people around the world. Seems like every ordinary couple has an extraordinary story behind them. Losing faith in love? Go read any two-page story from the book. And you will find yourself believing in the power of love once again.
  5. 2 States, Chetan Bhagat: Does not qualify as a love story in the real sense of the word. Neither does it explore any kind of deep attachment or profound bonding between its protagonists. But it explores something that only Indians can understand, the whole concept of a marriage not being a union of merely two individuals but some hundred individuals comprising two families, Indian families, implying not just parents but also their parents and their siblings, to the dai ma who changed your diapers to the kaka who used to get you chocolates.
  6. Love Story, Eric Segal: Among the first mature love stories I read. Who has not felt a pang of pain for Oliver when he loses the love of his life Jennifer. That life isnt fair, after all they had so little time together. But what really brought tears to my eyes was the father-son reconciliation at the end of the book. A lot of people have categorized the book as as being diabetes-inducing sweet, but probably for the nostalgia associated or for the fact that I might still want to think of love as being that sweet and simple, it will always figure on my list of favorite love stories.
  7. Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare: Has any talk of great love been complete without a mention of Mr Montague and Miss Capulet? A love story that has been cited as an example for generations. Albeit ending in tragedy, the story gave the term till death do us part a totally different meaning. There was a time I used to wonder why they had to go to all these lengths just to be with each other and why Juliet could not simply settle for Paris. Well, I was a teenager then. Now I appreciate that better.
  8. Notebook, Nicholas Sparks: When I had first come across the words for better or for worse at an acquaintance's wedding, I used to believe it was kind of a given. Never had I understood how bad the worse could get and how deep would the love have to be to sail through a storm that you know can never end in happiness. I do wonder, though, how Nicholas Sparks manages to write love stories which end in tears but still leave your faith in this all powerful emotion cemented even more firmly.
  9. Twilight series, Stephanie Meyer: To what lengths would you go to protect the one you love?  Especially if the one you love could possibly be your favorite meal? And would you be willing to leave your soul behind to be with the one you love? Such has been the impact of Twilight and its sequels that one of my friends had once remarked, "Damn Edward Cullen! Why on earth do all girls demand an Edward-like lover?"
  10. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell: I read the book because my Mom told me that there was no love story as this one. Well, she was right. The book is painted in shades of grey and showcases the bitter side of love. With Scarlett's obsession for Ashley, Rhett's love for Scarlett, Melanie's faith in her husband, this book, set in the backdrop of the American Civil War, makes for a bitter love story, an all time great nonetheless.

12 comments:

  1. Nice compilation :) can see that u are a DD student :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowowowowow...!!! very nice..! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Ask any girl who has read it, she would swear by it, and by Mr. Darcy" - so true :) much to the chagrin of my bro, who has had to deal with our fixation for long :D

    Loved how it listed all of my personal favourite stories. Thanks.
    BTW, every other of your last 5 posts have been about/related to Twilight or vampires. Coincidence much?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @neelangana: I don't have to deal with any fixation. I just chose to be indifferent. And that's not a big deal really. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gone with the wind tops them all I say :) Nice post, brought up some good memories of the days when I could get time to read novels :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Anuj: It doesnt imply joblessness, merely an increasing distaste for doing my job (DDP)
    @ Songbird, Abhishek, Madhuri: :)
    @ Neelangana: Hadnt noticed that ;)
    @ Aniket: Blah :P
    @ Phoenix: Miss Busy Body :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely :)

    p.s.: i found the comment-room discussions to be awesome.

    p.p.s: you rated 2 states above the notebook?! Well ok,... doppler effect i assume.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I still stand by what I said. I feel Wuthering heights should have found a place there. :)
    @ Neelangana: Oh! Who amongst us has had the power to not swear by Mr. Darcy!!! ;;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Abhishek: :).
    Wrt to the comments section, I agree its usually more fun to read than the original post. Also makes the author feel good: http://arpanbhalerao.blogspot.com/2010/02/any-comments.html .
    Wrt 2 States, I guess its more more of the personal connection, its not often that a story makes you feel like it could very well be yours..hope you got the funda ;)
    @ Sirisha: Wuthering Heights..well maybe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey u missed beauty and the beast! and try finding the novel on Anastasia. Awww... I love them and highly recommendable

    ReplyDelete